Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Quick Quesadillas

Right about the time I gave up eating wheat (more on that later) my mother bought me a quesadilla maker.  I thought, "great what am I going to do with this?".  Now if you have ever tried to make a quesadilla with a corn tortilla you know what I mean - I love corn tortillas but for quesadillas they just don't work.

One day, not long afterward, while perusing the free samples at Trader Joe's I inquired if the sample had gluten.  Luckily for me the gal giving out samples was also living gluten-free and she proceeded to take me around the store showing me all the tasty gluten-free foods I had never noticed before.  I hit the gluten-free jack-pot!  One of the best discoveries I made that day was Trader Joe's Brown Rice Tortillas.

I have to admit the rice tortillas don't work well for wraps (although they will do) as they have very little give to them when rolling up, but they make fabulous quesadillas!  In my opinion the rice tortillas actually taste better than flour tortillas when making quesadillas as they get crispier and have a subtly sweet flavor.  Quesadillas can come in really handy either for lunch, a light dinner, appetizers or as a way to use up leftovers!  Even if you are dairy free there are still many ways to make them - the possibilities are endless. 

The Quesadilla maker that I use is the Santa Fe Quesadilla Maker, it works like a sandwich press that scores the tortilla into sections while it cooks.  You can either use two tortillas which makes 6 slices or fold one in half for 3 slices.
Here are two of my favorite quick quesadilla recipes:

Chipotle Quesadillas 

Trader Joe's Brown Rice Tortillas
Chipotle hummus
Guacamole
Trader Joe's Smoky Peach Salsa

Slather one half of the tortilla with chipotle hummus, cook in quesadilla maker until crispy. Garnish with guacamole and peach salsa.


*Gluten-Free, Dairy Free and Vegetarian*


Goat Cheese and Corn Quesadilla

11oz. Plain Goat Cheese
3/4 cup sweet corn kernels (defrosted frozen corn is fine)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives (scallions would work well too)
Rice Tortillas



Combine corn, goat cheese and chives in a bowl,  spread evenly on tortilla and cook until crispy. Garnish with chives or salsa verde.

*Gluten-free, Vegetarian* This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light

How do you make your quesadillas?  If you share your recipes I'll post them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment