Friday, May 1, 2009

The Thermos

Another great item whose time has come again is the thermos.  I have fond memories of choosing my new lunch box and matching thermos at the start of each school year.  The thing I remember most about those squat plastic thermoses is that they leaked - a sticky residue generally coated the inside of my lunch box.  Still, I was fond of them.

The school lunch box has certainly come a long way so too has the thermos - some are better than ever.  I have decided to re-use drink containers as often as possible and use less plastic (since the jury is still out on plastic safety).  Today's thermoses really fit the bill.  My kids' lunch boxes didn't come with matching thermoses so they think the ones I have picked up are pretty cool and are eager to use them.  


The thermoses we use are made of stainless steel, no more leaky plastic, no glass insulation to break.  One of my favorites is a petite size that I picked up at Home Goods for only $8.  It comes to work with me most days.  It is great for tea, add one tea bag and some hot water and you have hot tea for hours.  By far the best that I have found is the Stanley thermos,  we picked ours up at Walmart.  Big and rugged, it looks like something an old time construction worker would have used.  Last summer we took it to the pool and it kept our water icy cold all day; in fact we even left if out over night and there was still ice in it the next morning.  No more tepid water in plastic bottles here!

I love being able to bring my favorite drinks with me (I am a bit picky) and have them stay hot or cold for hours.  This is also a great way to save money and reduce the amount garbage going to your local landfill.  Great for the pool, sports games, the beach or picnics - be creative, think margaritas!  Next time you are out pick one up!   

No comments:

Post a Comment