Monday, January 24, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

My thoughtful sister got me a great Christmas present this year - a gift card to Barnes and Noble.  I usually get my books used so buying a new book is a rare treat.  As soon as I saw the gift card I knew exactly what I wanted to buy, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.  I first heard about this book on one of my favorite radio shows Speaking of Faith when Krista Tippett interviewed Kingsolver about her experience of eating locally for one year.  For anyone who reads the place of  origin on their groceries knows that eating only local and seasonal food can be a challenge.  I was intrigued and could not wait to hear about how she did it.

So far, I am only a quarter of the way through the book and loving it.  As I read,  I  am equally horrified by the food culture in our country and inspired by Kingsolver's re-discovery of old fashioned food wisdom.  I have always considered myself as a  conscious consumer concerned with my family's heath and the environment.  I buy mostly natural and organic foods, few processed foods and rarely do we have soda.   But, this book has really raised the bar and made me re-evaluate my food choices.  Organic apples from Washington state are great if you live in Washington or Oregon but not not if  you live in Connecticut.

We spent this past frigid weekend visiting my in-laws in New Jersey, a home where there is never a bad meal.  My mother-in-law stocks up on our favorites for every visit and always gets the best of everything.  New Jersey is the "Garden State" and when they are in season there is nothing better than New Jersey ripe tomatoes, sweet corn and soft shell crabs.  But this weekend we dined on fresh strawberries, avocados, ripe tomatoes and pears all grown God knows where courtesy of Costco.  I was of course grateful for all the tasty morsels but seen in the light of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle  it seemed very decadent.

After a weekend away I had to get a few provisions so I went to Whole Foods where I planned to ease my conscience and find good local organic food to stock my pantry with.  Good and organic were in abundance, local, well not so much.  I looked at the produce aisle with new eyes and read all the labels: Washington, California, Florida.  The closest I got to fresh local fruit was a container of New York lady apples so I snatched them up.

I am not sure if I can go completely local just yet (school lunches) but I am going to try.  I am going to adopt the mindset and practices that my grandmothers and great grandmothers had and eat what is in season and cook accordingly.  I am hoping to join a CSA this year and will be buying eggs from my neighbor across the street once spring comes (too cold for the chickens now too).  It should be an adventure but the best way to vote is with your wallet and I want to make my vote count!


To hear the interview with Barbara Kingsolver on Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett click on the link below.  You can also visit the Animal, Vegatable, Miracle website for more information http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/.
http://being.publicradio.org/programs/2010/ethics-of-eating/

No comments:

Post a Comment