Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Roasted Potato Leek Soup

As is often the case with spring in New England, an unseasonably warm and sunny day yesterday gave way to showers and cooler temperatures today.  I needed to warm up from the damp chill and more importantly I needed to find something to make with the gorgeous leeks from our first spring CSA delivery.

I decided to rely upon Ina Garten, whose recipes have never failed me, and tried the Roasted Potato Leek Soup recipe from her Back to Basics cookbook.  I am a huge fan of Ina Garten's and have all of her cookbooks which I highly recommend.

The recipe calls for 4 leeks but I only had 3 so I made the following alterations and it still turned out really well.  Perfect comfort food for a rainy night.

Roasted Potato Leek Soup
2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled & cut into 3/4 inch chunks (I used 1.5 lbs.)
4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts well cleaned (I used 3 leeks)
1/4 cup good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (I use sea salt)
3 cups baby arugula, lightly packed (I used about 2 1/2cups)
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used 3/4 cup of Un-Oaked Chardonnay to finish off the bottle)
6-7 cups chicken stock, preferably home made ( I used about 6)
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 oz. creme fraiche (I didn't have any and skipped this altogether)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesean cheese, plus extra for garnish
Crispy Shallots, optional ( I love crispy shallots but ran out of time, will add next time for sure)

As you can see I sliced my leeks rather finely and they browned a bit too much for my taste, I will certainly cut them into larger pieces next time.

The directions call for coating the potatoes and leeks in olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper before roasting in the oven at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes.  I kept mine in only for 35 minutes as the leeks got pretty brown.   Next I removed the pan from the oven, placed it over two burners set to medium and added the wine, chicken stock and arugula cooking until the arugula had wilted and some of the liquid had cooked off.  Next I transferred the everything on the pan to my dutch oven and added the rest of the chicken stock and simmered a bit longer.  I used my stick blender to puree the vegetables instead of getting the food processor dirty.  Then, I added the heavy cream and cheese and let it simmer on low to thicken a bit more since I did not use the creme fraiche.

No doubt Ina's version is much richer, thicker and creamier but I was pleased with the results and this lighter version is just right for spring.  Now if only I could get the kids to eat it...



No comments:

Post a Comment